The Cincinnati Business Courier reported that out of the 100 most dangerous intersections in Ohio – sites that are the most common for roadway crashes – 12 are in the Cincinnati area. This ranking is based on data from 2013 to 2015 from the Ohio Department of Transportation.
There were three intersections along Dixie Highway that made the list – including two in the top five – and intersections along Winton Road made the list twice, including the intersection named the most dangerous in the area.
1. Winton Road and West Kemper Road
This intersection saw 74 accidents and 29 injuries from 2013 to 2015.
As reported by WCPO in Cincinnati, this intersection was the city’s most dangerous. It saw the third highest number of accidents involving injury in the entire state of Ohio.
One of the major reasons for this is likely the fact that the intersection sits right next to two heavily populated areas: Forest Park Square shopping center and Winton Woods High School, which sees 1,500 students entering its parking lot every day.
The high amounts of pedestrians combined with the heavy traffic during peak hours often causes a severe number of harmful accidents.
2. Hunt Road and Painfield Road
This intersection saw 90 accidents and 21 injuries from 2013 to 2015.
The small number of lanes at this particular intersection – which leads directly to an on-ramp for Reagan highway – causes a tremendous amount of accidents when drivers are trying to pack onto the interstate during rush hour.
3. Diversion Road and Dixie Highway
This intersection saw 56 accidents and 26 injuries from 2013 to 2015.
WCPO recently reported that this intersection is the area’s third most dangerous and the 20th most dangerous in all of Ohio.
4. Beechmont Ave. and Five Mile Road
This intersection saw 48 accidents and 24 injuries from 2013 to 2015.
This intersection in Anderson Township was the top-ranked intersection for crashes in Hamilton County back in 2013. And for good reason.
With more than 57,000 vehicles traveling through the intersection on any given day, the sheer volume of traffic makes it one of the most dangerous intersections in all of the Greater Cincinnati area. The intersection led the county with 32 accidents and five injuries over the course of the year.
Other Dangerous Intersections in Cincinnati
The following intersections also made the list of the most dangerous in the area:
5. Dixie Highway and Symmes Road: 36 accidents and 25 people injured
6. Smiley Ave. and Winton Road: 50 accidents and 20 people injured
7. Cox Road and Liberty Way: 47 accidents and 19 people injured
8. Hampshire Drive and High Street: 32 accidents and 22 people injured
9. Grand Blvd. and South Eries Blvd.: 24 accidents and 24 people injured
10. Neilan Blvd. and Pershing Ave.: 34 accidents and 19 people injured
11. Mulhauser Road and Union Centre Blvd.: 39 accidents and 17 people injured
12. Dixie Highway and Niles Road: 17 accidents and 23 people injured
Staying Safe at Intersections
At any intersection, practice safe driving, be alert, and follow traffic control signals to stay safe. Remember these tips for safe driving at intersections to avoid accidents:
- Do not change lanes just before or in the intersection.
- Adhere to any do not turn and yield signs.
- Do not tailgate the driver ahead, as a changing light may prompt him or her to brake suddenly.
- Be mindful of pedestrians and bicyclists – especially when turning – and give right of way when appropriate.
- Do not run red lights or stop signs.
- Make sure cross traffic has stopped before entering the intersection.
- Do not enter an intersection when traffic is backed up – otherwise, you could be stuck in the middle of the intersection when the light changes.
Were you in an accident? Our accident lawyers in Cincinnati, Ohio can help.
Since 1993, Levy Law Offices has been fighting for the rights of people in Cincinnati suffering from a life-changing injury.
Whether it be a car accident, a slip and fall, a workplace accident, or any other accident causing serious injury, we can help you get the compensation you deserve.
We hold ourselves to high standards and treat every single client like they’re our top priority – because you are.
If you’ve been involved in a serious accident and were injured as a result, give us a call today to see how we can help. If you are unable to come to us, we’ll come to you or work with you over the phone.